A friend of my wife and I put her dog down today. This is never a welcome event. My wife and I had watched the dog before and had spent a good bit of time with Sydney (the dog). Terrible news.
I was thinking about this while walking my own dog this morning. I started to ask myself why this is different than assisted suicide? In our society we consider putting down a pet or animal that is suffering "humane." This ranges from household pets to horses that suffer a terrible tragedy on the race track.
In all seriousness, what is the difference between this and euthanasia or assisted suicide? Is not the ending of terminal suffering and pain humane? Why such a resistance? On a case-by-case basis, there are obvious instances where a person wishes to, and is probably better off, ending their terminal pain.
One could read this and think I'm comparing humans to animals, but that's not really my intention. I am curious why there is such a difference between what we consider a responsible act and something so threatening that courts have to get involved yet may be just as responsible for the individual.
I can only think the opposition is defense of an institution over the needs of an individual. That institution may be a world view that values life but doesn't value the needs of the individual, a religion, etc.
Anyone?
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
a few thoughts.
1) some think humans have souls and animals don't, and there are no commandments such as thou shalt not kill a dying horse. i think it's pretty hard to separate some mindsets from that religious one.
2) i think there is the potential for abuse, and people are afraid of that. Such as "mercifully" killing the older relative and you reap the rich inheritance. i don't think that's a good reason not to do it, though, merely that people are too afraid of that result.
3) do animals ever commit suicide?
Animals sorta commit suicide. When they are old many leave the pack or whatever and take whatever comes as a result.
I agree with the abuse thing, though. That's a scary proposition.
Post a Comment