A year and a half ago I joined a gym. With the membership came 3 free personal training sessions. I didn't realize at the time how important those were. They really helped me get motivated to make exercise and working out a habit.
I quickly realized that while I was on the elliptical machines, many "in fit" people were on the treadmills, and burning a lot more calories than I was. That seemed like a more intense workout. I wanted to work up to that.
I slowly started jogging. I remember when I thought breaking 30 minutes for a 5k run (3.1 miles, 6.3 mph) would have been an accomplishment. I've made some pretty substantial strides, running in two 5k's (one with the Stanley Cup present, which was amazing). I'm still overweight, but in pretty good shape at this point. For me.
So I get this email from an organization called Team in Training (that's TNT, not...well...nevermind). TNT is an organization that raises money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. It is the world's largest endurance sports training program. They ask participants to raise money for LLS in exchange for training and support. Hmm...running with a group instead of doing it on my own, training, support, good cause.
I decided to see what it was all about. On Dec. 30, I drug myself up and got to a park in Raleigh at 7AM to run 6 miles. Most of the people training hadn't run before or were running pretty easy. I had run enough that I was running faster than them! And I didn't think I would do well.
So I'm running in the Country Music Marathon in Nashville, TN, on April 28. I'm doing the full 26.2. I have lost my mind.
I'll be updating this with my progress.
If you're reading, please donate and help me raise my funds! I'd appreciate it.
Saturday, January 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nice Blog Jeff! I would love to support you in your efforts. My mom died from Leukemia this past June. Keep some time open to play bridge!
Good luck dude!
Also, welcome back to the land of the blogging. We've missed you. :-)
Post a Comment