Tuesday, September 4, 2007

VA Beach, aka, Redneck Riviera

I figure more people are interested in the race report than my thoughts on VA Beach. So VA Beach comes first.

I have to confess that many of my tastes lean bourgie. I shop at Costco instead of Sam's so I don't feed the Wal-Mart beast. I like Target. I'm not a coffee shop kind of guy but I am a foodie. I prefer local restaurants to chains ("Hey, we're on vacation! Let's go to Applebee's! And Carrabba's tomorrow!").

How does this apply to VA Beach?
  • I do not want to buy 5 T-shirts for $10
  • I do not care that everything in your store is 50-90% off
  • I do not need a T-shirt telling those that see me that I have an attitude, I like Harley's, and I really don't want a shirt with a drawing of a curvy woman with large breasts
  • I do not want a paperweight full of imported shells to commemorate my visit
  • While I appreciate attractive women just like the next guy, I do not want to see your hoochie butt hanging out of your shorts
  • I think wife beaters are great in the gym or mowing the lawn, but not hanging out with 30,000+ of your closest friends
  • I'm happy your store sells beer at 8AM. Really.
  • I don't know if I want to go to a "sushi saloon."
Apparently the Florida panhandle is more prominently known as the Redneck Riviera. That being said, I did find several references to VA Beach as the same. It does seem to apply.

No comments: