Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Dark Knight

I have to say I'm surprised that no review I've read has hit what I thought was one of the more obvious allegories of the movie. The Joker is a terrorist, and the film is an incredible analysis of the human condition when it is faced with the depths of humanity in addition to a meditation on the political ramifications of terrorism. Smartly the words "terror" and "terrorism" are not in the movie. They would date what is an instant and timeless classic. There are so many levels to the movie, including the depths to which we can sink when victimized, faith in humanity, and the consequences of our actions.

Unbelievable. One of the best movies I have ever seen. Christopher Nolan has created a 150 million dollar action/adventure crime drama art film. The Joker is the best bad guy on camera since Hannibal Lecter.

I am pretty critical of movies. I am on the Heath Ledger for Oscar bandwagon. Aaron Eckhart is amazing as well, but Ledger is so good he's overshadowing what is incredible acting on Eckhart's part as well.

I told my wife this and I need to think about it, but this is how good The Dark Knight was to me. It's the second best sequel I've ever seen. First is The Godfather Part II. That puts The Dark Knight ahead of The Empire Strikes Back. That's the level we're talking about here.

1 comment:

podrey said...

We just saw this movie tonight, and i agree, Heath Ledger as the joker was truly amazing. Excellent movie overall. You make a good point about the joker being a terrorist.

One of the (many, as you pointed out) themes that spoke to me was that things are not always what they seem.