Sunday, April 29, 2007

I finished

Overall I was pleased with how things went. I was disappointed in my 4 hour 58 finish. The forecast was for cool weather, starting around 50 and ending around 71 with brief showers. It was well over 60 degrees by the time the race was significantly underway. It was 65 at 9am which starts to approach really hot for a run like this. Especially for me. Starting around mile 16 or 17 and for the next 4 miles I experienced some intense cramping. I didn't know muscles could do that, nor did I know it was so painful. In this case it was a result of salt loss from sweat. The medical stations have salt packets (like at your local fast food joint) and I had a couple of them. My legs were tired the rest of the race, but the heat prevented me from running very fast. Given the circumstances I'm very happy.

I'll post more about my thoughts later. Just wanted to give folks an update.

No comments: